Employees and Payroll

Who do I contact if I have questions?


For the fastest service, please call our main number (801-443-1090) to reach a Client Success Manager. They can answer your questions and connect you to our experts in each department.


What is the process for hiring a new employee?

Please have new employees complete the new hire paperwork online on or before their first day of work. The online paperwork will be routed to your Payroll Specialist. Employers can prepare the paperwork, with the employee’s name and email and the work site manager’s name and email in the Employer Resource Center.

Employees can also begin the paperwork on their own through the Employee Document Center. Be certain that they know who their manager is and the appropriate email.

Where can I access the new hire paperwork?

The link to the new hire paperwork can be located online in the Employer Resource Center or the Employee Document Center.

What documents will an employee need to complete the new hire paperwork?

Included in the new hire paperwork are an I-9 form and a direct deposit form. To complete the I-9 form, employees will need their I-9 list items. Examples are a passport or a drivers’ license and social security card. Please see the List of Acceptable Documents on the I-9 form for other items that can be used for I-9 verification. To enroll in direct deposit, a voided check is no longer needed. It is suggested however to avoid any errors made by the employee when entering account information.

For questions about completing an employee I-9 form, check out our I-9 Online Toolkit.

When is my payroll due for processing?

Payroll is due before 9:00 am, 48 business hours (two business days) before the expected pay date.

How early do wage, direct deposit, W-4 withholding and other changes need to be made for them to apply to the next payroll?

To guarantee the change will be made before the next payroll, they need to be submitted to Helpside at least three business days before the expected pay date.

How do employees change their W-4 withholding?

Employees will need to complete a new W-4 form to change their current tax withholding. An online form is available at www.helpside.com/document-center under the Payroll/HR Forms.

How do employees change their direct deposit account?

Employees can add or change a direct deposit account online through the Employee Self-Service Portal. Go to www.helpside.com and click on Employee and then ESS.  Employees should be certain that account information entered is completely correct.

How do employees update addresses and other personal information?

Employees can request an address update online by completing the Employee Address Change Request.

How do employees view their pay and other employment information?

Employees can access their pay stubs and other employment information online through the Employee Self-Service Portal.

To register for an account:

  • Employees can go to www.helpside.com
  • Click on “Employee”
  • Click on “ESS”
  • Then Click on “Register”

Where do I send garnishment paperwork?

If original garnishment paperwork is received please forward the entire original packet, including any compensation, by mail to Helpside at the address below. Helpside is the primary point of contact with the courts and attorney offices and will send copies of the employee’s documents with additional information to the employee’s address.

Attn: Garnishments
PO Box 849
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062

In the event that the courts or attorney’s office contacts you or one of your employees directly, you can ask them to contact Helpside at:

Phone: (801) 443-1090
Email:  garnishments@helpside.com
Fax: (801) 841-3554

How and when do I need to communicate with Helpside about an employee termination?

Laws vary state to state, but the best practice is to follow this timeline and communicate as follows:

How to Communicate:
Send an email or call your Payroll Specialist with the termination details.

When to Communicate:

  • Involuntary termination (termination of employment that is management-initiated of dismissal, including layoffs of over 30-days): We recommend that you notify your Payroll Specialist before 9:00 am one to two business days prior to the termination of an employee whenever possible. This will allow time for Helpside to process the check and have it available for you to hand to the employee upon dismissal.
  • Voluntary termination (an employee informs you that they are quitting or when an employee is absent from work for three consecutive workdays and fails to contact a supervisor): If the employee provided at least three days’ notice of their resignation, we recommend you notify Helpside before 9:00 am one to two business days prior to their last day of work, so that the check can be prepared and available for the employee on the final day of work. If the employee did not provide notice of their resignation, we recommend that you contact us as soon as possible after the employee’s last day of work and we will process their check within three business days.

What to Communicate:

  • Employee’s first and last name
  • Last 4-digits of employee’s social security number
  • Last date work
  • Termination effective date
  • Reason for separation

The easiest way to do this is to complete the Separation Notice Form and send it to your Payroll Specialist.


When do employees become eligible for benefits?

Employees must complete a waiting period to become eligible for benefits. The most common waiting period is 60 days, meaning new employees are eligible for benefits the first of the month after 60 days of employment. Employees who consistently work 30 hours or more per week are eligible to participate in health, dental, vision, and long-term disability insurance. Employees who consistently work 20 hours or more per week are eligible to participate in life insurance and employees who consistently work 15 hours per week are eligible to participate in the Reliance Standard supplemental insurance options.

When do employees need to enroll in benefits?

New employees or employees who move from part-time to full-time status should complete their enrollment forms as soon as possible after their hire date or full-time status date. Employees who do not enroll at least one month prior to their effective date could end up with back collections. If an employee chooses not to enroll, they will have to wait until open enrollment to enroll in coverage unless they have a qualifying event.

How do employees enroll in benefits?

To enroll in benefits, employees will need to complete an enrollment form for each benefit option they want to participate in. Many of the forms are available to complete online through DocuSign on the benefits enrollment website. Printed forms can be submitted to Helpside by email to bfts@helpside.com. If employees have questions about enrolling in benefits, they should contact us at (801) 443-1090 or at service@helpside.com.

When can employees expect to receive their benefits card?

Employee should receive their benefits cards from EMI Heath about 12-18 business days after submitting their completed enrollment form to Helpside. Employees who have requested a debit card for the flexible spending account can expect to receive their debit card about 10-13 business days after submitting their request to Helpside.

When can employees make changes to the health, dental, and vision benefits?

Helpside conducts an annual open enrollment that allows individuals to add, drop, or change coverage options. Outside of open enrollment, individuals are not able to add, drop, or change coverage. However, individuals can drop coverage, add dependents, or drop dependents outside of open enrollment if they have a qualifying life event. Examples of qualifying events include: gain or loss of other group coverage, birth of a dependent, death of a dependent, adoption of a dependent, and divorce.

How are employee insurance premiums deducted?

Premiums are deducted a month in advance. Monthly premiums are divided over two checks if paid bi-weekly or semi-monthly and four checks if paid weekly. Premiums are deducted on a pre-tax basis (for most benefits).

What is a back premium (adjustment) and when does it occur?

Because premiums are deducted a month in advance, employees can get behind on premium when they first enroll. This occurs when premium is missed due to the employee enrolling within 30 days of their effective date. To avoid a back premium, employees should submit an enrollment form to Helpside at least one month prior to their benefits effective date.

Where can employees access information about their benefits?

Helpside uses multiple vendors to help manage benefits. Each vendor can be contacted at the numbers listed below. Employees can create an account on each vendor’s website to allow them to view their insurance information and claims.

Health Insurance:  EMI Health- (800) 662-5851  www.emihealth.com

FSA Accounts: National Benefit Services- (800) 274-0503  https://mywealthcareonline.com/nbsbenefits/

HSA Accounts: Optum Bank- (866) 234-8913  www.optumbank.com

Reliance Standard Benefits: (800) 351-7500  www.helpside.com/reliancestandard

Employees who have questions regarding 401(k) through Transamerica, or life and disability insurance through Reliance Standard can contact an Account Representative at (801) 443-1090.

When will an employee’s benefits be terminated?

Employees will lose coverage for most benefits the end of the month in which they last met the eligibility requirements. If an employee works a day in a month, they will have coverage until the end of that month. If an employee has a qualifying event, such as obtaining new group coverage through spouse’s employer, their coverage will end the day before the new coverage begins.

Human Resources

How do my former employees apply for unemployment?

Employees should contact the Department of Workforce Services by phone:  Salt Lake – (801) 526-4400, Ogden – (801) 612-0877, Provo – (801) 375-4067, elsewhere and out-of-state – (888) 848-0688.  You can also access DWS on the web www.jobs.utah.gov. All unemployment decisions are made by the Department of Workforce Services.

Where do I send unemployment paperwork I receive?

Unemployment paperwork can be sent to humanresources@helpside.com. For specific questions about unemployment, you may contact Jeff Engh, our Senior HR Business Partner at jengh@helpside.com.

My employee needs to take a medical leave of absence, what do I need to do?

Jeff Engh is our FMLA expert and you may contact him at jengh@helpside.com. The forms are also available at www.helpside.com/employer-resources under HR Toolbox.

Our company is required use E-Verify for our new employees because of a contract we are working on now. How much does this cost and how do we get started?

Helpside can run E-Verify on your behalf free of charge. To get started, you will need to complete an intake form and submit it to our HR team. The intake form is available at www.helpside.com/employer-resources under HR Toolbox.

I would like to start doing background checks on my employees, how do I get started with that?

There are fees associated with background checks and your new hire will need to fill out an authorization form before we can run the background check. The pricing sheet is available at www.helpside.com/employer-resources under HR Toolbox. The employee authorization form is online at www.helpside.com/document-center. Fees will be charged on your regular payroll invoice.

What are your drug testing hours to avoid extra fees?

Drug tests conducted between 8:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. at our office in Lindon, UT is only $28.00. Drug tests conducted after 11:00 a.m. at our offices are $78.00. All positive tests will incur an additional $50 lab fee. Our drug testing pricing sheet can be found at www.helpside.com/employer-resources under HR Toolbox.

How do I get help with my recruiting needs?

You may send all recruiting inquiries to humanresources@helpside.com.

How may I obtain a salary survey for a position?

Please send salary survey requests to humanresources@helpside.com. There is a request form available online at www.helpside.com/employer-resources under HR Toolbox. Please note we do charge $10 for each salary survey request. Fees will be charged on your regular payroll invoice.

Where do I send a verification of employment (VOE)?

Please send VOEs directly to our HR team at humanresources@helpside.com. If you are ever contacted by a lender or government agency trying to complete a verification of employment, they can be directed to Helpside (801-443-1090) for the information they need.

I sent a request to the HR team, but I haven’t heard back. When can I expect a response?

Our HR team does its best to respond to all client inquiries on the same business day questions are asked or inquiries are made. However, sometimes our HR team members are in the field working with a client onsite, which may prevent them from getting back to you on the same day. If your matter is urgent, please call Amber Hunter, our Director of People Strategy, directly on her cell phone at (801) 885-8964.

Workers' Compensation and Safety

How do I get a copy of my workers’ compensation certificate?

If you participate in the Helpside workers’ compensation policy, you can request a copy of your workers’ compensation certificate online here.

How do I report a work-related injury?

Clients on the Helpside workers’ compensation plan must complete the Supervisor Incident Report available in both the Employee Document Center and Employer Resource Center on the Helpside website. The form must be completed during the same shift the injury occurred. Completed forms can be emailed to our Claims Director Raul Ontiveros rontiveros@helpside.com or faxed to (801) 841-3538. If you have any questions, you can contact Raul at (801) 443-1090.

Where should employees with work related injuries go for medical treatment?

If the employee’s injury is life or limb threatening (excess loss of blood, severed limb, etc.), report to the nearest emergency facility or call 911. Employees requiring non-emergency medical treatment should visit a designated provider first. A list of providers is available in Employee Document Center and Employer Resource Center on the Helpside website. All employees seeking medical attention are required to complete a post-accident drug screen. Injured employees who do not seek medical treatment may also be drug tested at their employer’s discretion.

How do I learn more about the safety services you provide?

Nick Baird is our Safety Director and he can help your company develop an effective safety program. Nick can be contacted at nbaird@helpside.com or (801) 443-1090.